Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Day 6 of 12 Days of Distressing - Staining

Day 6 Staining and Dying - I LOVE working with natural colored lace because you can buy it in bulk and turn it into any color imagineable. So you can use the same style of lace on multiple layouts and nobody is going to know the difference. Notice these two layouts below. The green lace at the top of the photo mat o the 1st layout is exactly the same lace that is to the left of the photo on the 2nd layout. I just used two different colors of alcohol inks. You can use items like tea or coffee to stain your lace or trim, but you are stuck with just a couple of colors. When you use alcohol inks you can have so many more choices. I have also used distress ink from ink reinkers, but the drying time and mess is a lot worse, so I would avoid it when possible.

When I dye my lace I will lay my lace down on my crafting mat and just run my ink down the lace letting drops fall as I go. The color will naturally spread out into your lace. I like to use a little more in some areas and a little less in others, so that it has a non uniformed look. Feel free to ask questions in the comment section and I will respond in the comments as well.

2 comments:

  1. I love the buy lace in bulk tip...I bought white ribbon and need red for some thing or another so I ran a permanent marker down the ribbon...as always thanks for being a great teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to try dying lace, but have been a little afraid to try. Thanks for the tips! I would love to try this technique.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails